While the holidays can be a joyous time of year, it can also be a time to realize that elderly loved ones who do not live near us are struggling. It is common for all to seem well on phone calls, but a visit in person to celebrate the holidays may reveal issues that went undetected on phone calls. Below are some signs to look for while visiting an elderly loved one that may indicate a need for more help:
- Lack of attention to personal appearance and grooming
- Unopened mail and unpaid bills/late notices.
- Weight loss/ lack of groceries in the house.
- Social isolation (reduced or diminished participation in hobbies or social activities).
- Difficulty remembering medications and appointments.
These may be signs that your loved one could use some extra support at home. If you have concerns, contact your loved one’s physician and consider a homecare provider for additional support.