As temperatures drop, fire risks may increase for everyone, but can present particular risks for some senior adults. Below are some tips for home safety during cold weather:
- Avoid clutter, blankets and clothing near space heaters. Heaters with temperature controls and auto shut off features are helpful. Check cords and equipment on heaters to ensure good working condition.
- Use screens when using wood burning fireplaces.
- Ensure electric blankets are in good working order.
- Avoid smoking in bed.
- Keep live Christmas trees watered to avoid dryness. Check tree lights for cord damage and malfunctions each year.
- Install smoke detectors in the home and keep the batteries changed regularly.
- Consider an emergency alert system if you have impairments that may affect your ability to hear smoke detector alerts.
- Set timers as reminders when using the oven or placing items on the stovetop to cook.
For more tips or suggestions, contact your local fire department. Stay safe and warm!